(Барьеры и решения)
(Применение в науке, лаборатории, ..)
(Ссылки на другие сайты)
2020-01-22 01:49:15 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
OS/2 GURU published more reports about tested hardware
Database of hardware: http://os2.guru/hardware.php
- modern motherboards
- USB Audio adapters
What computer configuration is optimal for OS/2 in 2020?
- you don't need extreme NVidia video adapter
- no need in i9 and 64 Gb of RAM
- on the other side, it's stupid to run OS/2 on MMX and Pentium from 2004
OS/2 Benchmarks: http://os2.guru/sysbench
2020-01-04 01:44:17 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
We are collecting benchmark logs at
Let's analyze the results,
- No need to use expensive external video adapters.
Better use Intel integrated than NVidia external.
- (obviously) 4 cores is better than 2 cores
- (obviously) SSD is faster than HDD
- (obviously) New computers are faster than old
Let's collect other 30 reports to get more conclusions.
2019-12-15 23:14:50 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
The user have many questions:
- If you should assemble super fast computer,
is it necessary select the best CPU?
- What configuration is weak and slow in OS/2?
- What computer is good, doesn't freeze?
- Is it necessary buy the latest i7? or you can stay with Core 2 Duo?
Let's collect reports generated by sysbench
and make conclusions based on the statistics.
If you want play the game:
- Download sysbench
- start sysbench, select: All tests
- Wait (5 - 10 minutes), don't start apps
- save the report to 20191225.txt
- send the report and notes to email: eg at ecomstation dot ru
- Please add:
- a) Model of motherboard / laptop / brand PC
- b) CPU? how many cores do you see at Pulse?
- b) Model of video card, what driver: SNAP or Panorama?
- d) model of HDD / SSD:
We will collect the results at the site:
2019-12-14 01:51:09 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
We can't recall if OS/2 users were discussing upgrade of Core 2 Duo to
Xeon processors. Installation of Xeon LGA771 to LGA775 socket.
Seems that this topic was popular in the Internet since 2014.
Imagine that you upgrade CPU with 2 cores and cache 2 Mb
to *servre* CPU with 4 cores and 12 Mb cache. Of course,
your computer should work faster. Check Xeon E5430
If you have motherboard with Core 2 Duo
(LGA775), with support of 1333, 1600, then you can install
Quad Xeon CPU (LGA771).
Of course, you should make some efforts:
update bios from CD + cut the socket + attach small converter to cpu.
ATTENTION: Send us the comparison: Before and After
- use sysbench. collect All tests before and After upgrade
2019-12-11 16:57:10 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
OS2.GURU is interested publish installation of OS/2 on unique computer.
example: mini-itx с wifi (rus)
We expect that you show interesting computer:
- all-in-one computer with IPS screen
- Thinkpad X201 with IPS display
- new cheap laptop from a shop with UEFI
- Thinkpad W540 or other expensive
- Thinkpad T61 Frankenpad or Z61t
- mini-ITX с wifi motherboard
- industrial computer with mini-itx
- Acer 8930G 18"
The review seems finished if you describe how it will be used
(review of installed applications)
eCo Software can reward some reviews.
(virtual 5$, 10$, 15$ which you can spend to purchase our apps)
2018-11-24 02:33:18 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
We found a discussuon of ArcaOS (OS/2) for audiophiles at DAstereo.ru site.
(you need a modern web-browser to open this site)
2018-08-06 11:07:14 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru, Igor Sapegin]
ArcaOS 5.0 + Panorama videodriver support 4K monitors:
- use video adapter with support of 4K
- the video mode works if connect via DisplayPort, HDMI - doesn't
Now the user should solve the problem of small letters and icons.
2017-03-13 04:02:09 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
Help us find the discussion of AF standard for harddrives support in OS/2.
There was a discussion somewhere in the Internet, maybe at os2world.com
General questions: can you install OS/2 to AF disk?
Do you feel slow speed? How to create partitions to follow AF standard?
More OS/2 barriers: ESWay website
2016-07-20 23:09:45 -- Eugene Gorbunoff [os2.guru]
This devices are supported in Operating systems: OS/2 Warp, ArcaOS, eComStation.
USB Ethernet adapter
For laptops which don't have Ethernet out.
USB Audio adapter with digital SPDIF out
It's manufactured in Russia (Moscow) for OS2.GURU site
Example of usage (RUS): обзор
Supported by CRC
Supported by CooLFM